My husband and I just recently built a house in Canton and as new residents of Stark County we had to participate in Canton’s most popular social event, First Friday. “First Friday” is an event in downtown Canton, just like Columbus’s Gallery Hop or Tremont’s ArtWalk, the art galleries are opened later than usual and the downtown bars are booming with patrons on the first Friday every month.
On April 1st we went to one of our favorite downtown restaurants Basil’s Asian Bistro. I of course ordered the drink special that night to satisfy my list requirement. Like usual the food and the service was great and downtown Canton was buzzing even though it was kinda crappy weather. We definitely will participate in this event again.
If I could eat one meal for the rest of my life this what it would be. I would start with tiropitas, then I would have a salad, lasagna as my entree, and for dessert I would have a piece of cheesecake with salty caramel ice cream. I have made all of my favorite dishes of this ultimate meal except for tiropitas. Tiropitas are a Greek food that is basically savory cheese filled phyllo dough. I have supervised the making of these heavenly triangles but I have never made them entirely by myself. I’m turning 30 so it’s time to go solo. I made these beauties for my investment club meeting and they were a huge hit…I was super sad when I only had a few leftover.
I combined two recipes that were in my mom’s binder of recipes. Here is the recipe that I came up with:
8 ounces of ricotta cheese
8 ounces of feta cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 egg yolks parsley
2 tablespoon of fresh chopped
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter (melted)
1 pound of phyllo (completely thawed)
Step 1: Combine the ricotta, feta, white pepper, egg yolks, and parsley in a mixing bowl and mix well. This will be your filling.
Step 2: Cut your phyllo into 4 pieces. Take two sheets of phyllo and coat them with butter and add a 1 Tablespoon of filling.
Step 3: Fold the dough into triangle just like you would a paper football. And top with butter.
Step 4: Place on a baking sheet and Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
I love Tory Burch as a designer. Her pieces are classic, timeless, and just simply drool worthy. For a couple of years I have been going back and forth for deciding if a Tory Burch bag was worth the investment. But, my 30th birthday was coming up and I decided it was time to “treat yo self.”
As I grow older I have realized that when it comes to clothes you should always invest in purses. Yes that trendy purse from Old Navy is cute for a season but it will fall apart. Even though a Tory Burch bag was an investment I was not going to pay full price for one. It is against the Shaheen family code of ethics to pay full price for any luxury items, according to my parents this is can include essentials and luxury items. Just my luck the annual “private” Tory Burch sale happened to be 2 weeks ago and I was able to score myself the pictured above black marion shoulder bag. It can be worn as a crossbody or as a shoulder bag. It is also the perfect size, not too big or not too small. I can’t wait to wear it.
Is it just me or is there always some sort of food holiday? Other bizarre holidays are probably just meant to brag to your Facebook friends that you have an awesome life. I love food and I love holidays so why don’t I celebrate every single one for the next 30 days. My favorites include Jelly Bean Day and National Pretzel Day. Here is the list I complied from sources I found via the Internet.
- March 30th: I am in Control Day
- March 31st: National Oysters on the Half Shell Day
- April 1st: April Fool’s Day
- April 2nd: National PB&J Day
- April 3rd: National Chocolate Mousse Day
- April 4th: Tell a Lie Day
- April 5th: Caramel Day
- April 6th: National Tartan Day
- April 7th: National Beer Day
- April 8th: Draw a Picture of a Bird Day
- April 9th: Name Yourself Day
- April 10th: Siblings Day
- April 11th: National Cheese Fondue Day
- April 12th: National Licorice Day
- April 13th: Scrabble Day
- April 14th: International Moment of Laughter
- April 15th: National Glazed Ham Day
- April 16th: National Eggs Benedict Day
- April 17th: National Cheese Ball Day
- April 18th: International Juggler’s Day
- April 19th: National Garlic Day
- April 20th: Look Alike Day
- April 21st: National Chocolate Covered Cashews Day
- April 22nd: National Jelly Bean Day
- April 23rd: National Picnic Day
- April 24th: National Pigs-In-A-Blanket Day
- April 25th: World Penguin Day
- April 26th: National Pretzel Day
- April 27th: Administrative Professional’s Day
- April 28th: Kiss your Mate Day
- April 29th: National Shrimp Scampi Day
Greetings A-Listers. My name is Alysse, you can read more about me in the About the Celebrity section. This website is for everyone that loves lifestyle blogs and pop culture. I am going to show you how to become a celebrity. This website will include pop culture tutorials, TV, movie, and music reviews, how to live on the A-List, and much more.
I am turning 30 years old in 30 days so I am going to begin my blogging journey with a challenge of doing 30 things before I turn 30 and complete the list in 30 days. My cousin Leah completed her list here: http://30thingsin30daysbefore30.com/ So now it is my turn to complete the challenge. I am positive that I will complete this challenge but I am still in denial that I am actually turning 30. Here is the list:
- Order “the special” every place I go.
- Go to Las Vegas.
- Celebrate a food or bizarre holiday each day.
- Start my Blog.
- Go to a live Barre class.
- Learn how to use a Piping bag.
- Make Labne and Pita Bread.
- Make Tiropitas.
- Go to Canton’s First Friday.
- Watch as many Top 100 AFI movies.
- Create a Gallery Wall.
- Learn Calligraphy.
- Implement one of my ideas from my idea book.
- Own a Tory Burch purse.
- Watch something on my Watchlist.
- Make a video.
- Finish my Wedding Album.
- Successfully grow Cilantro.
- Successfully curl my hair with a curling iron 5 times.
- Learn a music video dance.
- Make a drink that is Velvet Tango Room-worthy.
- Eat a famous restaurant.
- Ride a bike.
- Learn how to French Braid.
- Visit Ikea.
- Take more pictures.
- Use Snapchat daily.
- Play golf.
- Actually do my ultimate day in Canton.
- Toilet paper a house.
Wish me luck! Follow my journey via Instagram @lyssealist , Twitter @LysseAList , and Snapchat lyssealist.